Table of Contents:
If you are looking for the best MIG welder model, then worry no more – we Introducing our Top Ten Mig Welders buying guide – the best of the MIG welder reviews. We have taken the trouble to research and review the top rated MIG welders you can ever find in any welding supplies outlet. However, for the benefit of our good friends who are new to welding, it may be helpful to first shed some light on what MIG welding is all about before we look at the top welding devices.
MIG welding or specifically Metal Inert Gas welding is also known as Gas Metal Arc Welding. The technology was first used during the Second World War period as a viable method of joining thin-gauge sheets of metal to heavy steel tubes. This handy invention which was also fast and easy was seen as a timely blessing in the manufacture of heavy-duty weapons. It was one of those few good things that come out of the war.
230vAC | 25 – 190AA
24 ga. to 5/16 in steel in a single pass
115vAC | 35 – 88A
Up to 1/8 inch Mild steel
120vAC | 25 – 140A
up to 3/16 inch thick
220vAC | 175A
Gauge 18~ 1/4″ is the stainless steel and the mild steel’s welding capacity while the capacity of aluminum is 1/8 plate or even thicker.
120/240vAC | 30 – 230A
Up to 3/8 inch mild steel
110vAC | 105A
Up to 1/4″ mild steel
115vAC | 140A
Welds 24 gauge up to 1/4 inch mild steel
230vAC | 210A
Up to 1/4″ mild steel
120vAC | 30 – 140A
24 ga. to 3/16″ Mild steel
220vAC | 25A-200A
Up to 1/8 inch Mild steel
MIG welding is one of the easiest ways of joining metal sheets together. It is so simple that even a layman can muster the process in just a few hours. Welding machines are quite popular with hobbyists and DIY enthusiasts who need a reliable, convenient, and easy to set up welding tool. They provide the same functionality as Plasma Cutters and TIG appliances but with more accurate, neater, and smoother welds.
Owning a welding machine saves you time and energy. They allow you to easily weld thicker metals uniformly in a single pass. With the right MIG welding machine in your hands, you are guaranteed of fast welding speeds and the ability to test your welding artistry on thinner materials. However, a defective or low-performance welding machine can be quite disastrous to your intricate metal joinery projects.
So how do you find the best for yourself from a huge amount of MIG welder reviews for your welding tasks? Well, we don’t promise it is going to be easy because you are not likely to find the best one for sale at every local hardware store but our carefully researched list of top 10 Top Rated MIG welder models is just what you need to make the right purchasing decision. Take your time to go through the entire list and you’ll surely find a model that suits your needs from our selection.
1. Hobart Handler 500554001 190 with SpoolRunner 100 – Versatile Tool for Every Welding Task (Hobart 190 review)
The Handler 190 is a versatile tool that you can count on to handle a variety of welding tasks from maintenance, repairs, home tinkering, auto-body, construction and much more. It is a portable and powerful MIG welder capable of welding different metals including aluminum, steel, and mild steel. So, enjoy the Hobart 190 review.
Other notable features of the Hobart Handler 190 include:
- It is conveniently portable and very powerful allowing you to handle all your welding tasks efficiently from any location within your home or workplace.
- Comes with everything you need for outdoor welding projects using flux cored self-shielding wire or solid wire.
- It comes with seven voltage selection settings. The additional settings give you a welding arc that matches different sizes of metal thickness and wire diameter. A better welding arc means you get less spatter, the best penetration, a professional bead appearance, and ultimately less post-weld cleanup.
|The powerful MIG welder can weld just about anything||Some users claim the number 4 settings fails to work sometimes but this could simply be isolated malfunctions|
|It comes with a SpoolRunner 100 which is optional in other models||It has a short power cord but remember this is a portable machine that you can easily relocate anywhere near a power outlet|
|Its SpoolRunner is easy to use even for a beginner welder. The machine is also easy to set up and the controls quite intuitive|
|It provides a nice arc with perfect beads. You’ll look like pro welder even if you’ve just been doing it for a few months|
|For a welder that can handle everything from aluminum to stainless steel, you’ll agree it gives you value for your money|
The Handler 190 welds steel with different widths from 24-gauge all the way to 51/6 inches. It has an internal storage area and an infinite speed control for the wire feed. If you are looking for a MIG welder that ensures your welding job is done with precision and at the right speed, then the Hobart is the perfect welding machine for you.
2. Lincoln Electric K2185-1 Handy MIG Welder – A Powerful, Compact, and Portable MIG Welder
|This MIG welder is portable and lightweight||An oxygen tank cart is not included in the package but can be bought separately|
|It is quite flexible in operation and works for both MIG and flux-cored welding||A gas hose and regulator not included in the package|
|It has an adjustable wire feed speed||It has 4 settings only. These are sufficient for most projects but may take time to get used to if you have been using larger models.|
|It comes with welding gun and wire assembly and other welding supplies|
|It simply plugs in any household 115 Volts power outlet|
|Provides neat welding with as little slag as possible|
|Lincoln offers a one year warranty for the MIG welder|
One thing that has gained the Lincoln Electric K2185-1 a high ranking among the best cheap models is its compact yet powerful nature. Do not be misled by the size of this machine. It delivers a good dose of power and is capable of welding across thick materials quite easily.
Weighing just 40 pounds this MIG welder is not only lightweight but compact and portable too. It is perfect for household repairs and your artistic hobbies too. Another great thing about this welder is the fact that it is fan-cooled, which significantly increases its life expectancy.
Other key features of the Lincoln Welding Machine include:
- An adjustable wire-speed control. You can easily adjust its wire speed control from 0 to 300 ipm. The welder also adapts to any flux or small MIG wire feed for a wide range of small projects such as auto repair or simple home repairs.
- It is simple and easy to use in a variety of projects. It can handle all types of metals with different thicknesses. You can even see the work you are doing, unlike other machines where you have to deal with slag before you see the final results of your work.
- It has one of the best safety features in the industry such as the contractor safety feature which maintains the electric welding wire cold until you press the gun trigger.
- It has a higher optimal duty cycle. This is basically the amount of time this device takes to cool off before you can use it again. Some more expensive models have a duty cycle of 10% while this Lincoln welding machine gives you 20% duty cycle which is higher than you get from a high-end model.
- It comes with inert gas included in the package. Lincoln offers one year warranty on this welder’s parts and labor except for the MIG gun and cable which have a 90-days warranty.
The Lincoln Electric K2185 provides a functional welding solution that meets the needs of both professional and best beginner welders. It is lightweight, portable, and very powerful. It is worth considering if you are looking for a simple to use but powerful MIG welder.
3. Everlast Poweri-MIG 140E
If you are looking for the most lightweight MIG welder that gets the work done, then the Everlast Poweri-MIG 140E is just perfect for you. It weighs 28 pounds only. The MIG welder is perfect for all your portable repairs, garage welding tasks, for your home shop, farm usage, and off-road use.
It packs enough power to weld through a variety of metals including mild steel, chrome-moly, and stainless steel. It has a minimum welding capability of 24 gauge and a maximum of 3/6 inches in a single pass or 3/8 for multiple passes.
Other additional features of the Everlast Poweri-MIG 140E include:
- It is simple to operate. You can easily control the welding arc, gas, and wire flow. It gets the work done fast and with the least effort.
- It has industry standard connection which means you won’t have to worry if the parts fit or not. It even comes with gas hoses.
- It is lightweight and portable enough to carry to your work site.
- It has better duty cycle than other similarly priced models. The welding machine has 35% duty cycle, which is the amount of time you have to let it rest before you continue welding.
- It uses Tweco or Lincoln guns and Tweco #11 tips. You can use it with either a spool gun or tips to get a neat weld line with the least effort.
- The MIG welder uses argon gas attachments to give you professional welding.
|It is the lightest MIG welder that gets the work done perfectly||It does not work with Miller tips but works well with Tweco|
|It is great for DIY projects||Comes with metric measurements so be careful while feeding in the wire|
|It can take 4,6 and 8 inch spools|
|It is portable|
|It allows you to weld with either gas or spool gun and flux|
|It runs smoothly without the annoying transformer buzz that put your teeth on edge|
|Easy to setup and use even for a beginner welder|
The Everlast mig welder is an inverter based welder complete with an insular-gate bipolar transistor which gives it the ability to provide a higher amperage output and a longer life span. It runs smoothly with a 120 volts connection. It has a total ampere capacity of 200A.
The Everlast Poweri–MIG 140E is a Euro import that is perfectly fine for all your welding projects. It is lightweight and the best MIG welder for contractors, repairmen or women, and for a DIY person who does both light and heavy-duty welding at home. It is a mid-range welder for building projects and automotive or motorcycle welding tasks.
4. Lotos MIG 175 MIG Welder – Advanced Transformer Technology at a Great Price (220v MIG welder reviews)
|Great performance. It gives a smooth bead even on materials that are as thick as ¼ inch.||Some users claim the gas valve leaks but you can always get replacements from Lotus|
|Easy to operate||May be difficult to muster for beginners but if you go through the manuals and look for additional tutorials online, you shouldn’t have a problem with the MIG welder|
|Long lasting welding tool|
|Can be used to weld a wide variety of materials and for different purposes|
|Gives value for money|
The Lotos MIG 175 is a versatile welder designed to make all your welding tasks easy, fast, and professional. It uses advanced transformer technology known for being effective and reliable.
The MIG welder can easily be connected to a 200 volts wall outlet. Setting it up is a breeze. It won’t take you more than ten minutes. The machine comfortably works with industrial standard wire pools. It has resettable overload connection that gives it a durable operating life.
Key features of the MIG welder include:
- Ability to handle wire spools of 4 to 8 inches
- It has two automatic circuits that help to protect the wire feed motor.
- Temperature controls as well as a resettable overload protection that helps to increase the machine’s lifespan.
The Lotos 175 MIG welder is designed for standard industrial welding jobs but is versatile enough to handle all types of welding jobs and projects. It is a high-quality MIG welder that is built to last. It is a great tool for hobbyists and best DIY mig welders too.
5. Millermatic 211 MIG Welder 120/240VAC, 1 Phase – The Best Handheld MIG Welder with Great Output
This handheld MIG welder is portable and weighs 38 pounds only. It uses 240 volts of AC and can held stainless steel, mild-steel, and even aluminum.
It gets a spot on our list of best MIG welder models because it can comfortably weld different thickness levels from 20 gauges to ¼ inches including 18 gauge to 3/7 inches in the case of aluminum and 24 gauge to 3/8 inches for mild-steel.
It is a dual voltage MIG welder that uses both MIG gas and flux core to provide professional work. The welder relies on inverter technology to give you great travel speeds and arc length.
If you want the easiest to use handheld welding tool, the Millermatic 211 230V MIG welder is perfect for you. It runs smoothly without spattering thanks to Smooth-Start technology. It is one of the cleanest welders on the market.
|Both professionals and beginners will find it easy to use||Its accessories such as the cylinder and cart are a bit pricey|
|It can weld the thickest metals in its class||The spool gun is sold separately|
|It comes with an infinite voltage control|
|It welds different materials including aluminum, mild-steel, stainless-steel, and a wide range of exotic metals|
|It has a thermal overload prevention features|
|It has a long duty cycle|
|It is a reliable MIG welder with a great performance|
6. Goplus MIG 130 Welder – The Easiest to Handle and the best MIG Welder for Beginners
|It is an easy to handle MIG welder||The mask provided is of low quality|
|It comes with two circuit breakers for added safety against power surge damage|
|It has a long cord that makes your welding work less tiresome|
|It has a good range of voltage|
|Great price compared to other similar welders|
If you are an avid welder or someone getting started on welding, then you will fall for this easy to handle MIG welder at first sight. It is a powerful machine with just about everything you need in the best beginner welder.
Let’s take a moment to look at some of its key features:
- A handle that is long enough. If you’ve been welding metal for some time now, then you know the welding machine’s handle determines the effectiveness of your job. In fact, a handle that long enough gives you some luxury in your welding task.
- Along comfortable handle is less tiring than a short unmanageable handle. However, a handle that is too long may be an obstacle to your welding efforts. The Goplus MIG 130 welder handle is just the right length to make your welding less tiresome and more enjoyable.
- It has an excellent voltage. Welding entails a lot of heating which requires high levels of energy. The Goplus MIG 130 has a 100V voltage which is perfect for all types of industrial and domestic welding jobs.
- It has a long cord. The machines uses mains power which means it has to have a cord that is long enough to connect to a power source. Machines with short cords are quite limiting and often end up giving you less desirable results. This welder’s cord measures twelve and a half inches which give you a long enough reach without being an inconvenience.
- It comes with circuit breakers. The circuit breaker help in controlling excess current and in avoiding damage due to power surges. It is a safety feature that every electrical appliance or machine deserves to have.
This is one of the best welder for the money that you can find in any welding supplies store. It is sufficiently equipped to handle every type of welding job. It comes with all the accessories you need to start your welding right away. It is designed for both domestic and industrial use. That all makes Goplus MIG 130 one of the best beginner welder.
7. Hobart Handler 140 manual – All-in-on MIG Ready Welder for Most Welding Jobs
This is probably the best MIG welder machine for a beginner. Contrary to what you may have heard elsewhere, there is no single welding machine that is perfect for every type of welding job. However, if you want a machine that handles a majority of welding tasks then go for the Hobart MIG welder.
It is a powerful 115 volts MIG welder capable of welding mild steel with a thickness range of 24 gauges to ¼ inch. It even welds aluminum.
The Handler 140 is not referred to as Hobart’s best wire feed welder for nothing. It is quite versatile and can handle different welding tasks in diverse fields including auto body, household repairs, and farm projects that demand extra welding power. It comes with a 5-position voltage control selector that allows you to fine-tune your arc. You can rely on this MIG welder to get a smooth stable arc on any material thickness.
|It is a versatile welder with high-grade industrial performance ability||Its price is a bit high but it is top class machine worth the extra penny|
|It is easy to set up and use. Many welders agree it is the perfect MIG welder for DIY projects at home||It has a duty cycle of 20% which means it has to rest after every 20 minutes of work|
|It doesn’t require additional kits. Everything you need to get started is included in the box|
|It comes with a 10 feet long power cable. The work cable of 10 feet too|
|A setup guide and owner’s manual are also included in the package as well as an 8-inch spool adapter|
The Hobart MIG welder (Handler 140) is an ultra-versatile machine that can handle a majority of welding jobs. You can rely on this welder to work on your car’s body, on any home improvement project that requires welding, and even on repair of heavy farm equipment. It may have a higher price than other welding machines but it gives value for money. That all makes Hobart Handler 140 the best welder for beginners.
8. Hobart 500533 – Competitively Priced MIG Welder, Best for Different Types of Welding Tasks
|It has the best price in comparison with other MIG welders with similar features and functions||Besides the stiff ground wire, its power button has an awkward appearance|
|It is quite easy to set up and use|
|It handles heavy duty tasks comfortably|
|It is easy to adjust voltage from 115V to 230V by simply twisting the cable|
|The welder comes with a gun, flux cored wire, regulator, welding tips, gas hose, and many more accessories|
This is one of the most competitively priced MIG welding machine for both seasoned and beginner welders. It is a versatile machine designed to perform a wide variety of welding tasks. By simply twisting its cable, you can use it with either 230V or 115V connections. You don’t need any extra tools. This means the welder can be used at home or at workplace quite easily.
It is quite versatile and can be used in a variety of welding tasks such as on your car’s exhaust system, on trailer frames, on auto body panels, and on your gardening or lawn equipment just to mention a few. It comes with an assortment of all the required accessories which saves you from buying additional parts or equipment separately.
9. Lincoln Electric Easy MIG 140 – Powerful Handheld MIG Welder at an Affordable Price
The Lincoln Easy MIG 140 can be used anywhere you have an electricity connection. It is a great choice for vehicle owners and people who love working on DIY projects at home. The machine is also capable of handling light industrial welding tasks. Best of all, it comes with a friendly price tag.
The Lincoln Electric Easy MIG 140 has a maximum power output of 140A. It is one of the best flux core welding machines. It provides a 20% duty cycle. It has feed and speed controls that range from 50 to 500 IPM. The machine is also capable of handling flux-cored welding perfectly well. It can weld a variety of metals including aluminum, mild steel, and stainless steel. It’s capable of welding steel with thickness varying from 24 gauge to 3 1/6 inches.
|The welder delivers perfect arc performance||When you use it as a MIG welder, it will require an additional gas cylinder which limits its portability|
|It is easy to use even for beginner welders||At 60 pounds, it may require a cart for transportation|
|Its dual-process functionality makes it quite versatile||It is not compatible with generators|
|It provides a smooth arc with very minimal splatter|
|It has a rugged construction which gives it maximum durability|
This is one of the most reliable Top Rated MIG welders you can find on the market today. It comes at an affordable price and delivers great results. Compared to other MIG welders in its class, the Lincoln Easy 140 has more features and better performance. It is a perfect choice for your small metal fabrication projects.
10. Everlast Power I-MIG 200 – Powerful MIG Welder for 2020
|It is easy to use||Would have been better if it came with a spool gun|
|It is lightweight at just 35 pounds|
|Works fast because you don’t have to worry about the back burn. It is automatically controlled|
|The price is quite economical in comparison with other models in its class|
This new Everlast MIG welder is a powerful tool designed to take on virtually every type of welding job. It is a dual-voltage MIG welder that comes with IGBT based inverter technology. It weighs 35 pounds only and is easily transportable.
Some of its key features include:
- Its design is based on digital IGBT inverter technology which makes it quite stable and capable of providing the best arc performance.
- It has arc force control which maintains inductance and makes the machine capable of adjusting arc characteristics.
- It has a dual digital display that shows the user the amount of volt and amp being used while welding.
- It has a good duty cycle
- It has an adjustable burn back control which automatically adjusts the wire length.
- One of the best flux core welder
The Everlast MIG welder (Power MIG 200) is a perfect welding tool that is packed with all the features you to handle your welding tasks. It is available at an affordable price which makes it an ideal choice for a welding professional with an average budget. The Everlast Poweri MIG 200 is one of the best 120v welder.
Top MIG Welder Buying Guide
Benefits of MIG Welding
You, maybe, had read many good reviews before. But, why do people choose Top Rated MIG welders over stick or TIG welding? MIG welding has many advantages such as the ability to weld almost every type of metallic material including thin aluminum and thick carbon steel or any other alloy. The technique uses self-shielding wire that doesn’t cost much. It is a simpler welding process that delivers excellent results. Its auto feed wire feature produces a cleaner weld pool compared to the one produced by other techniques.
When using this technique, you don’t have to do repetitive tasks such as changing rods or brushing the weld every now and then to remove slag. MIG welding saves you time, delivers perfect results, and boosts your productivity.
Best of all, the technique can be learned and mastered within a few days of practice, unlike TIG welding which takes a long time to perfect.
Factors to consider when choosing the best MIG welder for the money
You’ll find a wide range of MIG welders for sale at your local welding supplies store but how do you tell which one suits your needs? Here are a few factors to consider when shopping for the best welding machine:
- Check its input power rating. If you are interested in a small-scale home project, get one that can be adjusted to 115V to 140V. Industrial level projects require higher input power levels since you’ll be welding thicker materials. A MIG welder with input power range of between 120V and 230V is ideal for industrial settings.
- Consider the machine’s wire size and the material thickness. There are two categories of MIG wire weld namely the ER70S-6 and the ER70-3. The first type is used to weld rusty or untidy surfaces that require more deoxidizers while the second type is used in all welding jobs. Knowing the type of material you intend to weld will help you determine which one suits you best.
- Is the machine portable? They are designed to give you stress-free welding which is why you need a lightweight machine that you can carry from one location to another with ease. However, don’t concentrate on much portability at the expense of performance. Some of these machines with the best performance can be quite heavy.
- Check the machine’s duty cycle. This basically refers to the limit the machine will run at a pre-set voltage and output without exceeding its parts temperature. Duty cycle is commonly measured in terms of performance for every ten minutes. For instance, a machine with the duty cycle of 20% will run for 20 minutes before you let it cool down for 8 minutes after which you can start it again.
At this point, you must be empowered with the right information to go out and purchase your appliance without fear of being taken advantage of by profit-driven traders. Feel free to check our recommendations above to find the welding machine that meets your needs and budget. We love hearing from you so let us know which machine you chose from our best MIG welders models.
- Best Surveillance System 2018 – Buyer’s Guide
- Best RC Boats 2018 – Buyer’s Guide
- Best Milling Machine 2018 – Buyer’s Guide
- Best Camping Generator 2018 – Buyer’s Guide
- Best Dog Crates 2018 – Buyer’s Guide
- Best Built-In Gas Grills 2018 – Buyer’s Guide
- Best Gas Grills Under $500 for 2018
- Best Snow Blowers 2018 – Buyer’s Guide
- Best Charcoal Smokers 2018 – Buyer’s Guide
Top Posts & Pages
Garden and Outdoor2 months ago
8 Best Built-In Gas Grills for 2021
Garden and Outdoor2 months ago
10 Best Commercial Zero Turn Mowers In 2021
Tools4 weeks ago
10 Best Milling Machines for 2021
Blog1 month ago
5 Best Commercial Vacuum Sealers (2021 Review)
Garden and Outdoor1 month ago
10 Best Propane Grills [2021 Review]
Electronics2 months ago
Best Surveillance System 2021 – Buyer’s Guide
Blog1 month ago
5 Best Commercial Espresso Machines For 2021
Garden and Outdoor4 weeks ago
The 10 Best Charcoal Grills in 2021